CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Scoop on "Green Eggs and Ham"

As I promised, I'm going to get into the deeper meaning of Dr Seuss' "Green Eggs and Ham".

I found quite a few deeper meanings, from political to religious. But before I get into those I want to tell you what I first thought of. The themes I saw included: Persistence (by Sam of course), judging a book by it's cover (or in this case, eggs by their color), close mindedness (BFT didn't even want to try green eggs and ham) and humbleness (once BFT did try them, he admitted that he did like them, he didn't let his pride get in the way.)
Those are what I thought of before researching...you probably thought of those too. Now I'll go through some other thoughts that I found and read. Once you read them you can decide which ideas make the most sense to you.

Political: Sam is thought to be Uncle Sam or the United States government, and the BFT as us, the nation. Perhaps he is saying that the government wants us to think a certain way, do certain things. That the nation was fighting it, but gave in and really liked what they were fighting after all. Or they were so beaten down, that they just chose to accept it.

Business: Sam is representing marketers or commercials, ads in the newspaper, magazines, ect... Giving BFT or (us as consumers) choices. "You don't want to buy it now, but what about later, what about with this or that?" This one reminded me of sales clerks in stores or mall keosks...they even follow you sometimes. At times you really don't want the product they are selling, but those clerks are persistent...it doesn't always pay off and sometimes it does.

Religious: From a Christian perspective: God is called the Great I AM (Exedous). Sam is thought to be God, because the name Sam-I-Am. We don't always want what God has planned for us, we can fight it, but God doesn't give up on us. In the end we find that God knew best after all. That we wasted all that time fighting Him, when we really could've been enjoying our "green eggs and ham."
The same thing could be thought of as Jesus being Sam. There are things He gives (or tells) us that might be hard to swallow, but in the end it's the best for us.
Others say that Sam is Ezekiel (a prophet from the Old Testement). He had a hard job...he had to go out and tell people (like the BFT) about about God and His ways (green eggs and ham). People didn't like the sound of what they heard so they turned away. But Ezekiel knew what God had planned for him to do, so he kept spreading His Word.

All of that is a lot to think about...so I'll go now and read another Dr. Seuss book. Maybe Yertle the Turtle.

TTYL,
Susie Loo the Seussical Reporter

PS: If you have a different meaning that you'd like to share, feel free to post a comment! :-)

2 comments:

  1. Great insight Tiffani. I had never thought of it that way before but I can see all 3 meanings... although I tend to lean towards the religious meaning. God bless.

    Love Daddio

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good insights into that book:):) Green Eggs and Ham is one of my "kiddie" favorites!

    ReplyDelete